Dr João Pinheiro graduated in Medicine from the Faculty of Medicine, Lisbon 1973. Complementary residency in Ophthalmology at the Ophthalmology Service of the Hospital de São José from 1976 to 1980. Hospital Assistant and Specialist Degree by the Portuguese Medical Association in 1981.
- Hospital Assistant at the Ophthalmology Department of the São José Hospital from 1981 to 1983.
- Moorfields Eye Hospital (London) Extracapsular Cataract Extraction 1984.
- Southern California Institut (USA) Phacoemulsification of Cataract 1989.
- Tri-City Medical Center, Oceanside, California US Facoelmusification of cataract 1990.
- Moorfields Eye Hospital (London) Vitreoretinal surgery 1991.
- St. Lukes Institut USA Phacoemulsification with "Clear cornea incision" 1992.
- Moorfields Eye Hospital (London) Radiosurgery 1993.
- Tri-City Medical Center, Oceanside, California US Phacoemulsification of cataract - New techniques 1994.
- Eye Microsurgery Institute - Barcelona Lasik Surgery 1995.
- Moorfields Eye Hospital (London) Vitreoretinal Surgery 1995.
- Lasik surgery International certification Chicago US 1996.
- Author and co-author of articles and communications in national and international meetings.
- Live surgery by invitation at international meetings.
- Ophthalmologist at the Centro Oftalmológico da Luz 1984-1995.
- Ophthalmologist and Clinical Director at the Microcular Clinic 1995-2007.
- Ophthalmologist and Clinical Director at CPO - Private Clinic of Ophthalmology 2007-2017.
- Consultant Ophthalmologist at CPO - Private Eye Clinic since 2018.